March 15, 2009

More on Autism

I have yet to post anything on my interest in autism, which is really just silly! It only took one student, my first year of teaching, to make me completely obsessed with autism and finding any key possible to help unlock their world. I still have the video clip on my computer of the first time he ever answered the question "What's your name?" and I watch it whenever I need a reminder that these kiddos have the answer there all along...you just have to find the key to let it out!

Working with children on the spectrum within an ECSE classroom can be a puzzle, because the structure and routine they crave, isn't needed by all students. However, my personal experience has shown that every single child, regardless of disability, benefits from a structured and routine oriented environment. But how does one go about designing their classroom and schedule with this in mind? All the answers can be found in what has become my bible :), found here: Structured Teaching. This site includes some great pictures of what structured teaching looks like, but in case you need more, here is a presentation I gave at a T-TAC workshop using the information. There are loads of pictures throughout.



To see more pictures of TEACCH work systems, click here and then choose a year.

Two books to LIVE by when using work systems:
(I own both and used them constantly.)

How Do I Teach This Kid?

Tasks Galore

No comments:

Post a Comment