December 10, 2008

Have some fun with the Days of the Week!

I wish this was an original idea, but I teach with some pretty ingenious ladies. I should note that I'm one of "those" preschool teachers who does not address the entire calendar (month, date, tomorrow, yesterday, etc.) at circle time. I think it's better tackled in a small group with your almost-kindergarteners. I do, however, go through what's become the ever famous "WHAT'S TODAY?" routine. I use the following ideas to help my kiddos differentiate between the days:

(techie note: once in iTunes, double click the song title to hear a preview)

Musical Monday
(Greg and Steve: The Freeze)
Grab your hodge podge of musical instruments and play along, but listen carefully for "the freeze".

**I haven't been able to find this in a downloadable format anywhere. The link above will take you to the Greg and Steve website. Scroll down to find the "Kids in Motion" CD, click "song list and music samples" and listen to an excerpt of "The Freeze".**

Tickle Tuesday
(Sandra Boynton: Tickle Time)
Please try not to become completely addicted to this song. Get your kids up and dancing to the music while you walk around with your "tickle stick"...a feather duster (think Dollar Tree).

Wiggle Wednesday
(Raffi: Shake My Sillies Out)
I can never frown during this song. Raffi takes your kids from shaking their sillies out, to clapping their crazies out, jumping their jiggles out, and finally yawning their sleepies out.

Throwing Thursday
(Smash Mouth: I'm a Believer)
You could really pick any upbeat song in your library for Throwing Thursday, this one happens to be one of my TA's favs. Toss some bean bags back and forth! At the beginning of the year, we start out just throwing to Miss Kristen, as the year goes on kids can pair up or sit in a circle and throw across to each other.

Friendly Friday
(Raffi: The More We Get Together)
This is the Kodak moment of the year. Each Friday my kids know to "squish up" (sit side by side in a line on the circle time rug and put their arms around each others shoulders) and sway while we all sing this song together. Don't forget to insert your own students' names in the middle AND allow kids with autism to sit on the ends so they don't feel too encroached upon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment